THE ARCHIVES

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Cast Of Eerie Publications Perform The Johnson Smith Novelty Company "Horror Record"!


Never, ever, ever would I have thought that I would see such a sight- a video of moving images from Eerie Publications covers set to the soundtrack of- the Johnson Smith Horror Record! As Jason Willis of the Scar Stuff of Legend put it, it was definitely aimed at a "specific" audience, which happens to be me and all of you out there who care about what I post on Magic Carpet Burn. Jason originally posted it on the Scar Stuff site, go there to read about how he did it. I would just like to say how excited I was to hear from Jason, as his site literally rocked my world even before I had a computer that could download stuff, as it is also a treasure trove of information and his posts got more comments than I thought it was possible to get from such a "specific" audience. (Fortunately my good friend Aaron was able to download stuff from Scar Stuff for me and supply me with hard copies, which in turn got put on my mp3 player and have been there ever since.) The point is, lots of people have fond memories of their exposure to these records and have their favorites. The Johnson Smith Horror Record is one of mine, but I would never imagined such a rich tableau of images from listening to it as what you're about to see. As a listening experience the JSHR is a baffling exercise in "What the heck is goin' on here?" and the video has many surprises and joys for those of us who have actually memorized the hellish thing. I particularly love the point in the video where...well, I won't spoil it! I would also like to say that I now have a lot more respect for Krishtar and his threats of world destruction, "Because, you have only one hour to exist!", so watch this video now! Just for fun I am posting my own copy of the Horror Record(both sides)and also my copy of the Gayle House Haunting record, with the sincere hope that Jason will one day tackle that one too!...
Coming soon - the 60s era Soma label version of the classic "Sounds To Make You Shiver" lp! How is that exciting? Different mix!...

15 comments:

Eegah!! and Tabonga! said...

That Eerie video made me squirm!

Amsiss Respre

Prof. Grewbeard said...

i beg your pardon?...

Corganoid said...

That was, by far, one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

John said...

This is seriously whacked! I love it!!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

hey everyone, don't forget to drop by Scar Stuff and let Jason know you dig it!

http://scarstuff.blogspot.com/

Mykal Banta said...

Man, is that awesome!! As you say, I never expected to see such a great gathering of Eerie Pub. characters done up in such a great fashion. I wouldn't be a bit suprised if we saw this posted again (if you get my drift)!

So well done and thanks for posting!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

i knew you'd appreciate it, Mykal! can't wait 'til Kars sees it! and by all means, spread the word!...

Unca Jeffy said...

A truly awesome find! I'm off to give Scar Stuff a tip of the hat!!

Jason said...

Thanks everyone! Really glad you're all enjoying the video.

Happy Halloween to one & all.

Brother Bill said...

Imagine that as a TV series....!!

Jason said...

Heh. Y'know my actual animation inspiration here was those 1966 Marvel cartoons that were so cheap/minimal in terms of their range of frames & motion, so I was initially thinking that I should write & perform some cheesy-bouncy theme song (like the Hulk/ Iron Man/ Captain America/ etc ones) and add credits that made it seem like it was a weekly event.

But, uh, then I realized that I had only given myself a month to do the entire thing and had never once in my life opened up the main program I would be using, so I thought better of the notion.

Maybe if I ever take Prof/ Grewbeard up on his excellent suggestion and tackle the Gayle House "Haunting" record I can pull it off though ('cause secretly I have it about half written in my head already.)

Prof. Grewbeard said...

if you can make something of that minimalist messterpiece it would be a truly heroic effort!...

...THEN you can do one for "Hallowe'en At The Haunted Castle/Spooky Zoo Party" from MP-TV's Spook Stuff For Hallowe'en!

heh, heh, heh...

Mr. Karswell said...

I too am all for Jason continuing this amazing motion graphic series of animated horror comic book covers! Two severed thumbs up!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

thumbs away!...

KWTR Manager said...

I love this record and I still have the 1984 edit which omits the flogging part. Super rare and I decided to list it on eBay just to see what attention it gets and if it sells :)
That weird guy on side B is so kool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails